Popular Posts

Monday, November 7, 2011

Recheck your Banking

WSJ article on Credit Unions Poach Clients is a great review of current banking issues.  Local banks and credit unions when compared for their rates and quality of services revealed that the credit unions offered the best value.  Banks are not as helpful as perceived.  While many financial institutions continue to battle for your dollars, I offer a buyer beware of where you deposit your dollars.  One bank teller rudely questioned why I didn't deposit more of my dollars with them when I made a deposit for another account.  Why should I when your customer service is lousy, your fees are unwanted and your willingness to help me with my financial situation is nonexistent.  I will gladly send my dollars elsewhere.  Question is where?

Your local credit union is one opportunity.  For military families, this is not as good of an option especially with PCSing or international travel.  I find that USAA doesn't charge ATM fees and offers free checking.  There are other military-friendly financial institutions to consider. 

Important is to bank with a financial institution that does provide an FDIC guarantee on your account (not brokerage or money market as these fall under SPIC which is completely different from FDIC) and double-check the fees you could potentialy pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment