Popular Posts

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Blah Days As Food and Gas Prices Rise

I don't know about other households but mine is feeling the pinch at the gas station and grocery store.  Forecasters predict food and gas prices to rise even more this summer.  Tomatoes have been a luxery item of late.  I am even learning how to buy milk and freeze it just to cut back on my number of trips to the store.  One of my neighbors did away with their garden one summer because it was too much to handle but now they are gearing back up the garden to feed a family of six this summer.  I've reduce my eat out bill and am even reducing sitter costs.  Whatever the case may be for your household or situation, it is wise to pinch pennies, get creative with meals and reduce trips. 

Just this past weekend at the mall, one store was offering you 25% off anything in the store that day just for coming in it.  I've noticed coupon adds for Gap and Bannana Republic like never before.  Forever21 store was packed at the mall and it's simply because they are selling cheap clothes that meet the practical needs of their customer.  I bought one dress for $14 and plan for it to be my one buy this summer.   There's an increase in advertising and sales promotion but my question is THIS working to generate sales or are these stores still operating in red from the current economy?

My skeptic perspective is reigning high these days as I myself cut back on a lot of expenses and try to do more at home or in more economical ways.  Wives of Faith has reinstated its Coups for Troops program so definitely sign on for that deal if possible. 

If it is like going back to the 1970s where we do more potluck suppers and other creative but cost-reducing ways to socialize, then I believe that we are foreshadowing a challenging and punitive time in our country's business economic future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment